23-NORTH is the brainchild of Amit Karmakar from Sydney, Australia. His photographic journey began as a landscape photographer. Over the years, he found his passion in telling stories by capturing human emotions. Every face tells a unique story, and capturing feelings in black and white takes courage, which is Amit’s preferred mode of narration.
Amit has been photographing diverse genres over the last ten years, and, in this time, he has had his work displayed in galleries in Melbourne and Sydney and had his article published by Fujilove. In 2020, his natural light portraiture photography won the second position in the Leica Fotographie International amongst thousands of photos worldwide. His photos were selected three times in the same year for the Leica International gallery. Originally from a town about 23 degrees north of the equator, 23-NORTH celebrates Amit’s homage to his place of origin and his artistic expression of documenting stories.
- Format feature - Sep 2021
- LFI Gallery - Jul 2021 (twice)
- Exposure Publication - 2021
- Portrait Challenge - LFI Gallery Dec 2020
- LFI Gallery - Oct & Jul 2020
- Fujilove magazine - 2017
- Story of the street - 2016
- E&O Trading Company - 2008
- Victorian Archives Gallery - Melb 2017, 2018
- Transition - Sydney 2016
- Victorian Archives Gallery, Melbourne (since 2017)
- Department of Education, Sydney (since 2015)